Leave me in London

Leave me in London Image

With classes out for Easter and my head heavy from hours in the library working on my dissertation, a weekend getaway was long in order! I packed up my Burberry wellies and raincoat, darted off aboard the Eurostar and arrived in London ready for a change of scenery.

A lovely London egg for the Fabergé Egg Hunt and art by Abraham Cruzvillegas at the Tate Modern.

The Chelsea Quarter Café
A relaxing break at the Chelsea Quarter Café

The Chelsea Quarter Café

London
A bright distraction from the London grey.

Sloane Square

Sightseeing with a local friend, author of Not Just Another Milla, gave me new appreciation for the city as I looked through my Paris-tinted glasses. After spending so much time with the Latin cultures of Europe, it was refreshing and eye-opening to be amongst a culture that shares much more with my own: I could sit for hours in large brown leather chairs undisturbed in the quiet (almost reverent) upper levels of Waterstones Bookstore at Piccadilly; was awestruck by the level of customer service as the waiter attentively listened to Milla’s customized breakfast order at the Chelsea Corner Café (how boring I was ordering right of the menu!); was quite literally perplexed to find the Saatchi Gallery open by 10am (some art galleries in Paris don’t open until as late as 2pm); and, most cherished of all, my personal bubble was relinquished back into my custody.

The trip was short, a mere three days that came and went faster than I would have liked. Already I’m back confined to the indoors as I work on my dissertation, study for various exams and begin pulling my hair out for a few papers I need to begin writing… Summer is an all-too welcome finish line and yet it is coming all too quickly, the paradox of student life. At least once it arrives, I’ll have yet another opportunity to dart back up to London!

1. Lindsey April 16, 2012, 5:24 pm

What’s this other opportunity to dart back to London?!

1. Stephanie April 16, 2012, 5:26 pm

Summer… as in no school. :) More specifically, I’ll be heading back for a couple of weeks in August and again in October.

2. Tanya April 16, 2012, 6:09 pm

Ah, London… Lovely city. My last visit there lasted all of 24 hours. Still, I got out and mingled with the crowd.

Lucky you that you have your next trip scheduled!

1. Stephanie April 17, 2012, 3:07 am

I’m smitten, I’ll admit it! And since getting back to the US before Christmas is likely not to happen, it’s nice to have access to a culture that shares much with American culture. Hope you get a chance to visit again! I’m glad you at least got out to mingle in your last visit :)

3. Wanderfull Traveler April 17, 2012, 12:37 pm

So nice to have a bread in between all the school work though, especially in London!
    The best I can do as of now is go out to dinner here and there to get away.
    But only one week left before my last essay is due and then I am free for however long I determine! Not sure if I want to do a masters and maybe just focus on writing.
    I was actually hoping to write a novella for the Shakespeare and Co. book store’s contest in September.

Lovely pics and can’t wait until your next London visit! Going for the Olympics?

The Wanderfull Traveler

1. Stephanie April 17, 2012, 1:32 pm

I may! The closing date is the 12th of August so I may be there :) Good luck with your last essay! I know the feeling about being on the wall with the masters. Ultimately I think I’ll be glad I went for it. But right now I’m really feeling frustrated with the student lifestyle and looking forward to have the time to work on projects that will benefit my professional development more directly. But hopefully this will help me secure a better position once I’m finished.

Any news from the Guggenheim yet?

4. Vivi April 17, 2012, 4:10 pm

Do you really find London so similar to American culture? When I visited there, during times when I was living in latin/mediterranean countries, I was also shocked because I expected it to feel more like “home” but then every little detail felt so different from America. So far I find Germany actually to feel a lot more like America than England does

1. Stephanie April 18, 2012, 3:11 pm

I think it’s all relative. Perhaps Germany is much like the US, but I haven’t spent enough time there to give a good comparison. It’s not that I find England to be so similar to US culture, it’s more that I find it to be more similar to US culture than Paris. I have no doubt that when I have the chance to spend more time there than this trip, I’ll begin picking up the differences more acutely. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see!!

5. Sthephany May 5, 2012, 3:51 pm

LOVE London. You’re so lucky you got the chance to go; and hopefully you get to go again soon. I lived in Cambridge for 4 months, and had monthly London getaways. Hoping to become a Londonite one day.