Top 6 for a Weekend in London

Top 6 for a Weekend in London Image

What would be your perfect weekend in London? Each time I come back from London, I am more certain about how I would like to spend a weekend getaway in Paris’ anglo neighbor. And now that I’ve finished my dissertation, I’m hoping for more opportunities to hop on the Eurostar and dart across the Channel. When I returned from my trip last month, I returned with an updated list of London favorites. Here are my Top 6 things-to-do for a weekend in London. And if you’re looking for a bit about my Passion for Paris, check out my guest post at Misadventures with Andi.

A Little for Dining

Afternoon Tea at Berkeley’s
Fashion? London? The two go hand-in-hand and no one accentuates this better than the Fashionista Prêt-à-Portea at the Berkeley London. Our tea classics were transformed into such decadent dessert items as the Marc Jacobs double breasted chocolate biscuit blazer in a sparkly pink icing and a Fendi maple and ginger ankle boot biscuit with yellow and black icing. My favorite was the Burberry Prorsum layered praline, dulcey cream and chocolate mousse ‘trench coat’ topped with stylish violet umbrella. Delicious and unimaginable creations by pastry chef Mourad Khiat and his talented team.

Berkeley High Tea in London

Jamie’s Recipease in Notting Hill
With the chance of another rainy day in London, there is no place I would rather be than at Jamie Oliver’s Recipease. It’s a fun hybrid of cooking school, delicious picnic-style take-away (in case of a sunny afternoon) and cooking supply shop. The cooking school looks like a lot of fun and is not just for the girls; when I was there, it was all men donning mustaches and aprons mixing away! What more could you ask for?

A Little for Shopping

Harvey Nicols
How could anyone not love what was once Princess Di’s favorite department store in London? I loved chatting up the employees at the Smython counter about ordering personally designed stationary (who said writing is a lost art?) and must of tried on a hundred pairs of designer sunglasses before heading up to the top floor to check out their gourmet foods and restaurants. When deciding which restaurant for lunch, it came down to the squash: Did I want Pumpkin Gnocchi or Butternut Squash Risotto? Of course, the winner was the Pumpkin Korroke from Yo! Sushi. Next time I return, I hope to eat at Season overlooking the bustling streets at Knightsbridge.

London

Burberry Flagship Store
Three floors of red and tan tartan heaven amid a state-of-the-art digital arena, what more could you want? Imagine shopping for your Burburry raincoat at the center of surround-sound rainfall, large drops falling in the background. Then move onto the handbags and check out the unique items designed mainly for the runway. It’s a beautiful space on the corner Regent Street.

A Little for Fun

Coronet Cinema at Notting Hill
With James Bond’s latest film, Skyfall in theaters, we couldn’t think of a better way to spend an evening out on the town than at the historic theater-turned-cinema at Notting Hill Gate. The Sitting in the original decor at the Coronet with a few glasses of Bollinger champagne from the theater’s bar was a wonderful “British-style” treat! Even more so while sitting in a velvety burgundy seat on the balcony listening to Adele’s suave voice singing 007′s theme song.

Hyde Park
After all the city fun, a girl needs a little green. I fell in love for Hyde Park my first morning in London when I woke up early and walked through the Italian Garden on my way to Chelsea. My favorite area looks more like an open meadow than a park in the heart of London. I picked a bench beneath the golden leaves of Autumn and just enjoyed the quiet of the moment, the people passing, the little wiener dog named Puddly that came to say hello before “running” off after the wind. On a nice day it’s the perfect place for a picnic from Recipease! But I’ll have to do that next time I’m in London…

It doesn’t get much better than that! What are your favorite places in London?

1. Andrea aka @3samovar December 14, 2012, 4:30 pm

this makes me so longing to go back there! thanks! how come I cannot pin this article?

1. Stephanie December 17, 2012, 11:36 am

Some images are from my Flickr acct which is protected. Others are ‘pin-able’. Hope that helps!

2. Paris in Four Months December 14, 2012, 5:20 pm

Ah, this looks lovely! It was such a long time ago I went to London… I really need to go back after seeing these pretty photos :)

Best,
    Carin (www.parisinfourmonths.com)

1. Stephanie December 17, 2012, 11:35 am

Thank you for your comment, Carin! I always have so much fun behind the lens!

3. Murissa @TheWanderfullTraveler December 17, 2012, 3:27 pm

Some great ideas here Stephanie and lovely photos as usual!
    Notting Hill and the general area of Chelsea is on my top list of places to visit in London as well.
    Delicious looking high tea as well!

Murissa

1. Stephanie December 20, 2012, 3:56 pm

Loved Notting Hill and Chelsea is so fun. Never a dull moment in London!

4. Sylvia December 17, 2012, 3:56 pm

My perfect day in London
    A morning run in Green Park, then a bit of shopping at Waterstone’s and Fortnum&Mason
    Lunch at Guy Ritchie’s Punch Bowl pub, then popping into Rupert Sanderson’s to dream of shoes. Tea at the Orangerie, Kensington gardens and then a LONG stroll for drinks at the top of the National Gallery. Visit a bit of the art before dinner at Amaya Indian restaurant in Knightsbridge.
    Going in February for a rugby match!?!

1. Stephanie December 20, 2012, 3:57 pm

What a fun day! Definitely some new ideas for me as well! This is the first I’m hearing about the Orangerie and I would love to have drinks on top of the National Gallery! Time to head back!

5. Will She Love Paris December 18, 2012, 5:49 pm

Hi Stephanie,
    I will be visiting London in early January for a weekend with my mom and this post of yours is just perfect. I have a question about afternoon tea. We’ve never had tea in London before and our time will be limited so can only fit one afternoon tea. If given choices of tea at The Ritz and The Berkeley, which one would you choose?
    Grace (www.willsheloveparis.com)

1. Stephanie December 20, 2012, 4:01 pm

Lucky you! I can’t wait to return! As for tea, since it’s your first in London I would recommend The Ritz over The Berkeley. That said, I might also suggest going somewhere solely London like the Lanesborough and the Savoy looks stunning! You can read about each of these places at my friend’s blog, Not Just Another Milla – she does great reviews of many of the best places for high tea.

6. Erica-HiP Paris January 2, 2013, 10:32 pm

Can’t wait to go back to London. This makes it so tempting…so much to do and see! Merci.

1. Stephanie January 4, 2013, 11:42 pm

Thanks for commenting Erica! It’s nice London is so close – hope you find your escape soon!

7. Not Just Another Milla February 5, 2013, 2:08 pm

London loves Stephanie! You visited some really nice spots and took such nice photographs. We’ll picnic in my favourite park during you next visit, champagne et al!

Come back soon!