Reflections and Resolutions for the New Year Image

The last twelve months have been some of the most exciting and astounding, no doubt filled with plenty of challenging moments of growth and trying experiences. I celebrated the completion of my first year in a master’s program with a French university, wrote a 200 page dissertation which I defended just before returning to the US for the Holidays (champagne regularly involved), and completed an exciting internship with a Paris art gallery.

But I began the year feeling uncertain and ungrounded, spending much of the time trying to unearth which direction my heart desires to head next while also trying to grapple that I don’t even have to know exactly where I’m headed in this moment. I’m beginning these year a little more at ease with some exciting new ventures and at least one large life-changing mystery. I’ve signed up for a few more art classes, am planning a trip to Istanbul, hope to spend much more time in London, intend to give in to my wanderlust tendencies, plan to enter a 10 mile race in Paris and most exciting, will graduate with my French MBA. But after that diploma is scheduled to be in my hands, I enter the dark forest of the unknown, eyes wide open to new and challenging opportunities.

Last year, in lieu of the infamous resolution that seems predestined for failure, I chose a one-word theme for the year. 2012 was Joy. I found Joy in my family, in the adventures of life in Europe, in creating new friendships, deepening the bonds with old friends, in letting go and letting God. Since my birthday back in October, I’ve been filled with the sense that this coming year is to be my best yet. My chosen theme for this year is Intention. Intention as I seek a job that resonates with my passions. Intention as I seek new purpose in my next stage in life. Intention as I deepen the relationships most important to me. Intention as I seek the potential and promise of each new day. This will be the best year yet, and I will live with the Intention to see that it is. As for ArtfullyAdored, I hope to bring that word even into the continued growth and evolution of this site sharing with you the best of the year to come.

Wishing you all a wonderful New Year and the best in 2013!

Stephanie

1. Robin January 1, 2013, 2:01 pm

Happy New Year. Thank you for sharing your experiences and ART.
    This year, our annual trip to Paris (and other locations in France to visit friends) was postponed due to my breast cancer treatments. Your blog was my “Viewmaster” (do you know what that is?) into my lacking French experience. After 17 years, we missed a November in Paris. The spirit of your photos, words and energy helped me in BEST but undefined way.
    Thank yous are making their way to you…..Bonne année!
    Toujours,
    Robin

1. Stephanie January 4, 2013, 11:35 pm

That is so sweet of you to say, Robin! I am so happy to be able to inspire others, to be their Viewmaster and I’m so sorry you were unable to make your annual trip to Paris! I hope that the New Year brings you health and happiness as you undergo continued treatment for your breast cancer. May you also find a bit of la vie française no matter where you are! xox Stephanie

2. balenciagamos January 1, 2013, 11:25 pm

I’m so impressed that you wrote a 200 page dissertation in French! For me one of the hardest things is to try to plan for the future while still enjoying my life in the moment, and vice versa, especially when you have so many different things to juggle. I hope the new year will continue to be successful and productive for you! :)

1. Stephanie January 4, 2013, 11:39 pm

I know what you mean! I still haven’t set in stone any official resolutions though I have noticed that old goals have resurfaced and I’ve somehow found renewed energy and focus to work on creating new healthy life habits. I just have a good vibe about this next year! Wishing you the best!

3. Murissa @TheWanderfullTraveler January 2, 2013, 5:50 pm

Congrats on all your accomplishments this past year!
    A 200 page dissertation makes my novel idea sound like a drop in the bucket lol.

My website too is still under evolution and I don’t think it’ll ever stop but I am still trying to figure out my niche, my way of relating and what I want to say. Sometimes a blog can start to feel static when I write about an event or a place. I am hoping to breathe as much life into my blog posts as you have into your wonderful blog.
    Congrats to another year of blogging to us both!

1. Stephanie January 4, 2013, 11:41 pm

Any writing project is a significant feat! And novels are so complex with character and plot development plus intrigue! I’m no sure I would have what it takes for a novel. Keeping up on the blog can now move a bit more over to center stage though now that the dissertation has stopped hogging all of my energy! Still have a few papers to write though so we’ll see how it goes!

Best of luck in the New Year! Excited to see how The Wanderfull Traveler evolves in 2013!