January in Paris

January in Paris Image

Place des Vosges

Place des Vosges

Place des Vosges

After a wonderful, revitalizing trip back to the states, I had mixed feelings about returning to Paris. Living abroad has always carried the sentiment of living one foot out the door, half my life in Europe and the other on hold in the US. Friends scattered across the world, a “hometown identity crisis” (my family home in Philadelphia despite my never really having spent much time there coupled with living in a different city each year for the last ten years), and a date of expiration ticking time bomb on my visa is not the recipe for home sweet home.

Yet when I returned to my apartment in Paris, I felt as if that one foot out the door was ready to come inside and stay a while.

Back in the states, I had some time to rethink what I want to enjoy of Paris and gained valuable perspective from the lessons learned during the last year in the city. A favorite passed-time I hope to spend more time doing is capturing the extravagance of Paris, even in its most mundane, from behind the lens. So this weekend I took a stroll through Paris, camera in hand, and headed to some of my favorite places in the city. My stroll lead me from Place des Vosges to Eglise St Sulprice on the other side of the Seine. Bundled up against the cold that accompanies the lingering shades of grey, it felt like a wonderfully typical January day in Paris.

And thus I begin the journey with renewed vigor of creating a home out of Paris…

1. Paris in Four Months January 14, 2013, 8:03 am

Beautiful photos :) I’m glad Paris made you feel at home, even though the weather is so rainy and grey at the moment!

Best,
    Carin

1. Stephanie January 16, 2013, 3:35 pm

Thank you Carin! Hope you are enjoying your return!

2. Sini January 14, 2013, 8:10 am

I feel exactly the same, living between two countries isn’t always easy. I feel like returning back to Finland every time I see my family, but when I step in to our home in Avignon – I’m glad to be home.

Beautiful photos, I think Paris is beautiful even with grey weather!

1. Stephanie January 16, 2013, 3:36 pm

It’s odd, isn’t it? Hope you are doing well this New Years in Avignon. I trust it’s a bit warmer?

3. Virginia January 14, 2013, 3:32 pm

In just a week we’ll be flying to Paris. The Marais is one of my special places in Paris now. Seeing PDV again today made me even more excited to get back there with my lens!
    V

1. Stephanie January 16, 2013, 3:36 pm

Sounds like you’ll enjoy it very much! Hope you get some blue skies during you stay.

4. balenciagamos January 15, 2013, 11:17 pm

The Place des Voges was one of my favorites places I saw for the first time on my most recent trip to Paris :) I’m glad it has a little bit of green even in the dead of winter! And I definitely know what you mean about “hometown identity crisis….”

1. Stephanie January 16, 2013, 3:38 pm

A fellow confused habitant! Happy to know someone else feels my pain ;)